Skip to content
- GameCo CEO Blaine Graboyes Interviews with AlleyWatch – Looking at Series B fundraising, explains business model, etc.
- Colleges Roll Out Scholarships to Varsity Video Game Players – Fifty US colleges have established varsity gaming teams over the past three years.
- Amazon Mobile Masters Coming to Las Vegas – In partnership with eSports Productions and ESL, the two day event will feature different mobile games with a prize pool of $80,000 up for grabs.
- German Football Club VfL Bochum Enters Esports With Two FIFA Signings – Professional club signs two FIFA players to compete in esports space.
- Guild Hall in Burbank Marries Esports and Bars – Owner of Burbank’s new esports bar wants it to be “better than being at your friend’s apartment for game night.”
- Allied Esports Opens Second Arena in China With Shenzhen Location – New arena is 22,000 square feet, featuring a multi-use production studio, 168 gaming stations, interactive VR, and is aimed to house large and small scale production. Another article touches on how China stands ready to lead esports globally.
- LA Esports Conference Recap – Quick hits from a conference with some interesting folks doing business in esports.
- Top 10 League of Legends Players By Prize Money Earned – Lee “Faker” Sang-Hyeok tops the list at just over $1m, while #10 is nearly $350k.
- Affiliates To Create Trade Group In Face of Regulatory Scrutiny – A group of leading affiliates and gaming legal experts are setting up a trade body to help the affiliate sector tackle the increasing regulatory scrutiny it is facing, particularly in the UK. Paddy Power, for example, sets a “one strike” policy for affiliates.
- GVC Revenue Growth Inspires Further Acquisitions – The owner of Bwin, Sportingbet, and Foxy Bingo expects further organic growth, and potential growth through M&A.
- Colombian Regulator Issues Second iGaming License – Local firm Corredor Empresarial SA is now authorized to offer sports betting, video slots, and games of chance on its domain BetPlay.co.
- Daily Fantasy Sports Provision Included in CT Budget – Proposed 10% tax on wagers from CT customers.
- Tribal Position on Sports Betting Will Come Into Focus at Phoenix Conference – The impact of sports betting on the nation’s Indian tribes operating casinos will become clearer at the NIGA midyear conference in Phoenix. Article recaps issues.
- With NFL Ratings Down, It Would Be A Good Time For League to Pivot on Sports Betting – Article explores why NFL might want to soften its stance against sports betting.
- Pokerstars, 888, and PartyPoker Live in Google Play Store – Top online poker operators with Android apps are now available for real money on the Google store, marking a relaxation in Google’s iGaming restrictions.
- Sports Betting Legalization: Where Do We Stand Right Now? – David Purdum – ESPN – explores.
- “iGaming Will Become Law At Some Stage in Michigan” – Rep. Brandt Iden, the chairman of the MI House Regulatory Reform Committee, stated “If I were a betting man, and I am, iGaming will become law at some stage in the state of Michigan.” Former MI attorney general Mike Cox also support this.
- Draftkings Rolls Out New E-Commerce Store – Custom gear and branded apparel available for purchase.
- Global Daily Fantasy Sports Hires Former NYX CTO as New Tech Chief – Global DFS hires NYX and Amaya veteran Slava Azienshtat as new CTO.
- Wisconsin Looks to Legalize and Regulate DFS – WI State Rep Tyler Vorpagel is introducing legislation to classify DFS as legal, and regulate it within WI’s borders.
- PA Inches Closer to Online Gambling After House Passes Revenue Package – The plan commits to $225m from gaming provisions, but does not outline what gaming measures would be adopted to meet this specific number.
- NJ Online Casinos Surpass $20m in Revenue For 6th Straight Month – Caesars was #2 out of all operators in NJ in August, driving $4.4m. August revenue in NJ came in at $21.3m, article explores deeper.
- Week 1 DFS Revenue Recap – Draftkings revenue estimated at $1.3m, Fanduel estimated at $700k.
- Beware Overregulation of Online Gaming – Op/ed from Peter Roff.
- Italy to Launch Call For Online Gambling License Applications Next Week – Many new licenses are up for grabs, but Italy is already an incredibly competitive market.
- Gaming Realms To Integrate With NJ RGS – Gaming Realms expects earnings growth in 2017, but expect to make further progress after integrating with RGS’ in NJ from Resorts and Rush Street Interactive.
- Reflecting on ESL One New York 2016, The Tournament of Broken Promises – Reflecting on the outcome of last year’s tournament, looking to this year’s event with a new crop of esports dreamers.
- Study Shows Young Men and Women in the US Watch Esports More Than Traditional Sports – Study conducted by CDN service provider Limelight Networks was conducted on 4,000 people from France, Germany, India, Phiippines, Singapore, South Korea, UK, and USA. Take this with a grain of salt.
- Suited and Booted – Astralis Team up with JACK & JONES – Partnership between team Astralis and JACK & JONES will see the latter design a new jersey for the Danish team, with the ‘first ever performance optimized esports jersey.”
- Skins, Case Opening, and Regulatory Concerns Dissected at Betting on Esports – Panel recap of attorneys and regulator from MGA discussing the approach to esports from a regulatory perspective.
- Statespace Brings Neuroscience to Esports – Statespace has built a suite of features to measure reaction time, perception, and accuracy, marrying neuroscience to provide data on player skill.
- Michael Heina, Nielson Sports – “Esports will become one of the top five sports in Germany.”
- EvenBet Launches New Daily Fantasy Sports Product – Another B2B supplier enters the market with what technology that has rapidly become a commodity, offering play on soccer and cricket, focused towards the UK.
- How Draftkings Survived and Made DFS Legal – Podcast with Jason Robins about the struggle they faced/are facing.
- Australia to Ban Online Gambling Sign-Up Offers – The Australian government is set to introduce new restrictions that will stop online gambling operators from offering inducements to entice customers to register.
- Republic of Georgia Considering iGaming Prohibition – Government is split on the idea.
- French iGaming Regulator Is Optimistic About Shared iPoker Liquidity in 2017 – Head of Consumer protection at ARJEL says they are close to releasing their dossier of technical rules governing shared liquidity.
- Fanduel Launches ‘Scout’ Companion App – Similar to DK Live, Scout companion app will be an information app with live scoring, news, etc.
- Atlantic City in Great Position To Take Advantage of Sports Betting – AC press opines about what might happen in SCOTUS victory for NJ.
- Michigan Gambling Bill Surfaces in House – A first look shows online gambling applications will carry a $100k fee, licenses are 5 years, $200k in Y1, $100k Y2-5. Platform provider licenses are also 5 years, $100k at issue, $50k each year, $50k application fee. Vendor licenses carry a $5k up front fee, $2500 for each year thereafter (5 years).
- UK Watchdog Upholds Complaints Against Operators – 888, Ladbrokes, Sky Betting and Gaming, and Casumo were slammed for advertisement via affiliates.
- Fortuna Esports Links Up With SportRadar – SportRadar to provide data solutions for esports betting to Fortuna.
- Blizzard to Open Esports Stadium in Los Angeles Next Month – Arena will host multiple sound stages, control rooms, practice facilities, and events.
- Taunt Raises $1.7m From Paul Allen’s Investment Group – Esports platform will allow fan-to-fan competition. More in depth analysis here.
- Facebook Pushes Further Into Esports with Paladins Partnership – Paladins premier league will stream live on Facebook.
- Supercars Launches Bathhurst Esports Competition – Aussie Touring Cars Series announces its first esports series. More racers are getting involved in esports, more here.
- FTC Strikes Deal With Online Gambling Co. Influencers – The FTC has settled with two social media influencers that promoted CSGO Lotto. More here and here.
- Esports Team Management Company Raises $3.2m – Guilded is closing a $3.2m round of funding, with investors like Joe Montana, Jeff Wilpon, and other funds, for team management software.
- Esports Conference Fails to Attract Big LV Strip Operators – Casino Esports Conference deemed underwhelming after the two-day event failed to attract major attention from Las Vegas stakeholders.
- Esports Betting Operators See Wagering Activity Increasing – According to a survey, esports betting operators believe wagering activity will increase this year and the next.
- What are ICO’s, and What Do Cryptocurrencies Have to Do With Esports? – Good article on why esports companies are leveraging ICOs to take in investment capital.
- Aussie Esports Site GAMURS Raises $3.5m to Expand Game Coverage and Go Global – Media company raises capital to expand its reach covering esports.
- Nevada Moves to Expand Esports Betting – NVGCB Chief Karl Bennison said sports betting operators in the state will allowed to place wagers on multiple esports competitions.
- Pennsylvania: Online Gambling Legalization Effort and Industry’s Potential – Some analysts believe FY1 in PA would generate $230m in revenue, rising to over $360m in revenue on an annual basis. PA Gov Tom Wolf warned that PA will “get hurt” if state lawmakers do not pass a revenue package to balance the budget.
- Kelly Smith Joins MGM as Senior Vice President and Chief Digital Officer – Starbucks veteran to spearhead MGM’s digital development.
- Gaming Nation Acquires Artemis Technology – Gaming Nation acquires its leading competitor in 50/50 raffle.
- Sportito To Target Germany With Daily Fantasy Sports Product Under Malta License – Also hold a UK gambling license, aiming to develop new markets with DFS product. They are facing competition from the likes of Sky Betting & Gaming, making a strong push into the German market.
- 19 States Support NJ in Sports Betting Brief to SCOTUS – AZ, FL, IN, KS, LA, MS, MO, NE, NH, ND, OH, OK, RI, TN, TX, UT, WY, WV. CT is missing!
- UKGC Makes Major Compliance Recommendations to Lottery Operators – In the light of increasing popularity of house raffles, UKGC warns organizers that all lotteries must comply with gambling legislation.
- “Game of Skill” Allows Users To Bet on Bitcoin Price Movements – Bitcoin Market Predictor, from Chicago-based company Level Trading Field, says the tool is based on a very simple pari-mutuel system in which 10 people make a prediction on the future of a publicly priced item, and the person with the most accurate prediction wins.
- FastPick Offers Legal NFL Betting in NJ, With Or Without SCOTUS Ruling – Fastpick rolls out their “fantasy” NFL matchups ahead of the start of the season.