- Chaos Erupts in WV Over Sports Betting After Governor Issues Statement on Integrity Fee – Fee won’t be paid by the state, but will be paid by casinos. There will be a special session to change the existing law. Gaming stakeholders say there is no agreement or fee to discuss.
- Lawmakers Who Pushed Back on Sports Betting Integrity Fee Tried to Add it To Dead Connecticut Bill – Verrengia behind latest push to appease the leagues, but the bill is dead for the session.
- Louisiana Legalizes Fantasy Sports – The caveat is that voters will decide which parishes within the state can participate, and the activity will remain illegal in places where it is not voted for successfully.
- Connecticut Puns on Online Gambling, Sports Betting as Legislature Adjourns – But the stage is set for 2019.
- Will Churchill Downs Have a Relevant Online Gaming Presence in PA? – Adam Small from PennBets explores in-depth.
- StakeKings and RotoGrinders Join Forces to Launch Fantasy Sports Staking – Similar to poker, DFS is getting its own staking platform.
- Sportech Hires New CFO – Thomas Hearne, based in Toronto, CA, takes the reins and also joins the board.
- iGaming Now 44% of Sales at Finland’s Veikkaus – Finland’s state gambling monopoly reported 10% YoY growth in digital channels.
- How Betfair Made Its Mark in NJ iGaming – Early marketing and other things helped launch Betfair to profitability and stability.
- Electronic Arts to Push Forward With Loot Boxes – Do not agree with court rulings that loot boxes constitute gambling, and will continue to include them in their games.
- 4 Esports Regulations To Watch For in 2018 – Education, regulation, drug testing, data monetization/privacy issues, and more.
- Team Dignitas Hires NBC Sports Esports Manager Michael Prindiville as CEO – Prindiville is a lawyer by trade, and now moves over to manage the burgeoning esports organization.
- NASCAR Launches Youth Esports Series in iRacing – NASCAR announced today the formation of a youth esports racing series, the first esports competition created to attract and identify young talent.
- New Overwatch League Franchise Slots Up For Grabs – 4 to 6 slots at $30m to $60m apiece.
- Facebook is Creating a Blockchain Division – The former head of Facebook messenger will head up the department.
- Australian Gov’t To Spend $700k on Blockchain – The government has allocated these funds in their budget to investigate areas where blockchain technology could offer the most value for Government services.
- Oracle to Launch Blockchain Products – The company will release a platform-as-a-service product, and follow it up with decentralized, ledger-based applications.