- UK Politician: Social Games Are Risk to Children – The social gaming sector faces an increasing level of scrutiny, which may lead to regulation – especially for casino style games.
- 2018 Stories to Watch in DFS and Sports Betting – More envelope pushing, more slow transition of DK/FD to “media and technology companies” rather than daily fantasy sports companies.
- PA Will Hurt Itself If It Limits iGaming Skins – PA already proved pragmatism doesn’t make a difference with the highest-in-the-world tax rate, so this one is anybody’s guess. Most informed opinions believe PA’s intent was to have unlimited skins, but regulations will tell the story.
- Argentina Cracking Down on Unauthorized iGaming – Miljugadas.com subject of intense scrutiny.
- Online Gambling Ban Becomes Effective in Uruguay – Previously approved ban took effect on January 1, as a reiteration of a law from 1895.
- Online Gaming Becoming More Difficult to Ignore in Asia – The massive black market may get some attention in 2018 as operators look at how they can get into the market legally.
- Fanduel Giving Away Bitcoin to Winners of A Fantasy Tournament – Fanduel looks to capitalize on the cryptocurrency craze and identify potential interested customers for expanded biz-dev opportunities.
- Draftkings Offering Single Game DFS For First Time – Operator continues to bend the limits of what appears to be acceptable within the law, without any federal recourse whatsoever.
- Michigan Looks to Hit The Ground Running on iGaming in 2018 – State has active bill for consideration.
- Plainridge Park Poised to Become MA’s First Casino to Open a Sportsbook – MA is preparing another white paper on the subject, but they are still behind the 8-ball in terms of regulation. Penn National wants to “hit the ground running.”
- NCAA Presence in Indiana Means The State Could be a Key Sports Betting Battlefront – NCAA appears to be against betting on their events
- It’s Not Gambling If The Girls Are Cute Enough, Rules Japanese Agency – In a very strange ruling, popular “gachapon” style gambling games have been deemed legal in Japan, provided that the girls being used to entice players to keep playing are cute enough.
- Ontario Looking to Expand Online Sports Betting to Include In-Game Wagering and Esports – OGL is accepting proposals for an overhaul of its online and mobile betting platform.
- PUBG Coming to PS4 At Some Point – 2017’s most popular game will get an even bigger audience after breaking its own record with 3m concurrent players.
- Esports Offer Opportunity to Earn Scholarship Money by Playing Video Games – Alternative headline: Seth Was About 15 Years Too Early On This One
- Shanghai’s Plot to Become the Esports Capital of the World – And why not? China is the hub for this. And is Japan set to join the world of esports?
- CS:GO Gambling Sites Feud Over Rigged Provably Fair Systems – No surprise, but controversy has arisen that these unlicensed, unregulated sites are rigged.
- The Blockchain Economy is Coming, With or Without Bitcoin – Blockchain technology has real value, while the price of coins still remains speculative, but it is not going away.
- Blockchain Could Change the Cybersecurity Game – Some cybersec experts opine that blockchain technology could help combat cyberattacks.
- MassRoots Forms Subsidiary For Cannabis Blockchain Tech – Smart move for an industry begging for transparency and regulation, from one of the sector’s largest and most recognizable brands.