- The Stars Group Acquires Majority Interest in CrownBet – Formerly Amaya, The Stars Group has acquired a 62% equity interest in CrownBet for an amount of approximately $117.7m.
- Fanduel Creates “Beat The Score” Contest – Users will try to beat a certain fantasy point total, set by Fanduel in advance.
- Major League Baseball Now Owns a Sportsbook – That’s one way to frame Draftkings’ announcement that they have hired a Head of Sportsbook. This article outlines the hire and some of its political implications.
- Tropicana NJ’s Casino Revival Capped By Strong Revenue in 2017 – Increased 14.6% over 2016.
- Nigeria Expects 16% GGR Growth in 5 Year Span – The Nigeria gambling industry is growing rapidly, and some estimates show it could be the fastest growing market in Africa over the next 5 years.
- WV Sports Betting Bill Nears Finish Line, Clears Another Hurdle – Senate passes bill, and is being considered in the house as the finance committee has advanced it to the floor.
- 4 Bidders for William Hill Australia – Ladbrokes, Bet365, Sportsbet, and Crownbet (recently acquired by The Stars Group) all submitted bids to buy WH’s ailing AU division.
- Lottoland Threatens UK Government With Legal Action In Euro Millions Row – The Lotto Betting Group coalition has sent a letter before claim to the culture minister, asserting a ban on lotto betting is an unfair restriction under EU law.
- The PA Online Lottery Is A Big Deal – Will drive some serious new revenue to the state.
- PA to Prohibit Online Casino/iGaming On Property of Brick and Mortars – Protectionist measures in PA will see iGaming prohibited while within casinos.
- Gaming Innovation Group Acquires 36% Stake in Hong-Kong Based Game Studio – GiG buys into D-Tech for $443,900.
- Scientific Games Acquires Brazilian Game Studio – Fee not disclosed, but SG has acquired EsysnetG, a video bingo content studio based in Sao Paulo.
- New Poll Reveals What NJ Sports Betting Customers Might Look Like – More than 40% of American adults would bet on sports at least once a year if there were a regulated market available to them.
- The Rise of Esports – 380m watching this year.
- Blockchain Enabled Cat Breeding And The Future of Gambling – People are investing tens of thousands of real world dollars in CryptoKitties. The most expensive has sold for over $100k. Worth a read.
- Taiwan’s New Central Bank Chief Exploring Blockchain – Agency will be playing closer attention and remain open-minded on the rapid development of the financial technology.
- Rakuten To Roll Its $9B Loyalty Program Into New Blockchain-Based Cryptocurrency – China’s Amazon will launch Rakuten Coin.