Skip to content
- UK Regulator Puts Breaks on Stars Group Takeover of Sky Bet – The UK’s Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has called a complete halt to any further action to merge the two companies, citing competition concerns.
- NFLPA Says Players Concerned About Privacy Regarding Legal Sports Gambling – “That information – what our athletes are doing, where they’re going – has a price tag on it. And as more money goes into sports betting, that price tag goes up.”
- Former Macau Triad Gangster’s ICO Raises $750M in Five Minutes For Cryptocurrency Backed Poker Tournaments in China – Title says it all, really.
- Parx, Mt. Airy, Stadium Casino Apply For iGaming Licenses in PA – Other groups following shortly, breaking the stalemate. Mt. Airy likely to launch with poker at the outset, and Parx recently hired Matt Cullen to take the helm of interactive after the departure of Don Ryan.
- For the First Time, Gamblers Bet on Sports at Meadowlands Racetrack – Fanduel sportsbook opens. Many issues with the betting lines, but it’s open and taking live bets, with issues being fixed quickly.
- This Week in Sports Betting: Solid Start in NJ, Draftkings Raising Big $ – Overview of the week of news.
- Scout Fantasy Suing CBS Interactive – Breach of contract, stealing Facebook page are among the accusations.
- New Deal Gives Churchill Downs Operational Control of Nemacolin – CDI will own one PA casino and operate another.
- First “Month” of NJ Sports Betting Results Are In – $16m in wagers, $3.5m in revenue. However, this includes futures tickets that have not paid out yet, artificially pumping up hold. This only records 17 days from 3 sportsbooks (Borgata, Monmouth Park, Ocean Resorts – open for 6 days in June). If the futures # is removed, the clean revenue is $1.2m, or a 7.8% hold. These early numbers are promising and will likely rise dramatically over the coming months.
- Online Betting Reveals Possible Doubles Match-Fixing at Wimbledon – Officials at Pinnacle Sports flagged an early round men’s doubles match for suspicious betting patterns.
- Ohio Sports Betting Next Year? – Lawmakers introduce bill to legalize wagering.
- NBA’s Silver on Sports Betting Integrity Fees: “Not a Place Where We’ve Made a Lot of Progress” – Argument is gaining little traction in legislatures as policymakers become more educated.
- Minnesota Student Wins $1m Jackpot on Jackpocket – The online lottery app that was recently allowed in MN has a huge winner right out of the gate.
- Over 540 Arrested For Online Football Gambling in China – Bitcoin betting ring with more than $1.5B involved is swept up in an investigation.
- Sports Betting in NJ Strip Mall Through Legal Loophole? – The strip mall used to be a racetrack, and are trying to push for access to the market.
- Legalized Sports Betting to Benefit TV Networks – Morgan Stanley analyst believes companies will be spending between $5b-$10b on sports betting ads by 2025.
- Meadowlands to Open Fanduel Branded Sportsbook – Will accommodate roughly 450 patrons at the outset, with plans to house just under 700 at full completion.
- PA Accepting Sportsbook Operator, Manufacturer, and Supplier Applications – To date, nobody has applied. However with the deadline looming, applications are expected shortly.
- Skill Gaming Parlors Swept in Ohio – Federal authorities and the state gambling commission appear to be investigating these hybrid-gambling parlors.
- Draft Rules Would Allow Up To 3,000 Historical Horse Racing Machines in VA – Colonial Downs and Revolutionary Racing looking to create a new market.
- Draftkings Looking To Raise $200m at $1.5b Valuation – It is not clear how that valuation is justified, but they’ve been great at raising capital in the past.
- Bet365 To Be a Skin, Not Platform, For Hard Rock – Initial confusion around the deal leads to clarification that Bet365 will operate on its own, under the Hard Rock license, in NJ.
- A Safe Bet: Legal Gambling Could Change the Way We Watch, Talk, and Experience Sports – WaPo article opines.
- The Real World Cup Winner? Online Gambling – Brits are expected to wager $3.31b alone on the world cup.
- DFS Revenue Growth Appears to be Stalling – NY State Gaming Commission released a report indicating DFS only experienced 2.4% YoY growth.
- Lawyer Who Reps Cubs and Yankees Speaks Out Against MLB’s Sports Betting Policy – The whole situation makes no sense.
- Colleges Taking Integrity Fee Crash Course From Pro Sports Leagues? – It looks like colleges are getting into the mix on the integrity fee conversation too. It’s all about the money.
- If You’re Not a PA Casino, Can You Get a PA Sports Betting License? – There’s no clear answer, but it appears there is a path to potentially doing so.
- Interview with Rush Street Interactive President Richard Schwartz – Talks about where RSI is going.
- PA iLottery Players Wager Over $21m in First Month – Generated roughly $3m in revenue.
- Iowa Lawmakers, Casinos, Lottery, All-in For Sports Betting – Who will run it?
- Kansas and Missouri Prepare to Offer Sports Betting – Legislation likely to go in 2019.